Monday, November 10, 2014

Day ten, continuing on...


A short note today.  I’m in the middle of another string of rejections and the push for ever more words in my nanowrimo document.  (Currently racing – ever so slowly – towards 17,000.)

 

It’s a good sort of melancholy here this morning.  Quiet and empty.  Beautiful snow slowly spiraling out the window.  I’m sitting here typing with hot coffee close by, hoping for inspiration while battling the ever encroaching thoughts of the giant to do list that floats over my head.  So I push for the word count while watching the world whiten out the window. 

 

Narratives I’m enjoying this week:

 

-James Richardson’s collected poems and aphorisms – a really excellent collection (and I’m not one to typically take a shine to collected volumes for one reason or another).

-The Walking Dead season 1 and 2 by TellTale Games – Some fantastic character narration in this point and click title.  While there are issues (both technically and narratively), I feel this is one of those games that show where writing in video games is headed, at least I hope so.   Kirkman’s Walking Dead is sort of a cultural juggernaut right now, but I think there are some moments in these games that are the best written moments across all media.  (Make sure to avoid the action game based on the tv show – video game mediocrity at its finest.  And if anyone reading this has an interest in the narrative art of the video game, please seek out Tom Bissell’s fantastic book Extra Lives:  Why Video Games Matter if you have not read it.  It’s an excellent starting point to a serious look at the medium.

-Poemcrazy: Freeing Your Life With Words by Susan Goldsmith Woolridge.  Helping me to get the creative juices flowing on those mornings when it is hard to make the words flow.  Also internet searches for writing prompts has brought some entertaining things my way over the last week.

-Just starting a new graphic novel – American Born Chinese by Gene Luen Yang. 

 

Back to the word-count race.  And hopefully today brings something inspired – or at least workable.

 

To today, then.

No comments:

Post a Comment