Saturday, November 1, 2014

NaNoWriMo - Let's go!


 
     For the uninitiated among you, November is National Novel Writing Month – nanowrimo for short.  The challenge is to write a 50,000 word novel in the space of 30 days.  I always thought of that as a crazy, impossible task, particularly for someone who was more known for flash and micro fiction than for any narrative of any length.

     Then in 2011, amidst a long long dry spell, I decided to try it.  And you know what?  It was liberating in a way that other writing projects hadn’t been in a very long time.  I shot for the word count, not caring so much about the direction of the plot, not caring about quality.  Just pushing for that 1600 or so words a day.  And I did it.  I ended with a novel just short of 60,000 words.  Now, it’s not a novel that I will probably ever try to revise (though I make no promises – there were a few scenes, even complete chapters that I really liked.  There’s some promise despite its issues…).  It’s not a very good narrative.  I changed main characters midway through.  It took thousands of words before it really found any kind of direction whatsoever.  And when I was done, I felt more burned out than I had felt for a very very long time.  But I had done it.  Me – whose longest story prior to 2011 was probably 800 words.  *I* had written a novel.  I had proven that I had it in me.  I had proven that I could still write.  And I learned that I apparently work better under a deadline – a lesson that I need to keep reminding myself of, honestly.

     Unfortunately, I didn’t follow through in the following years.  In 2012, I tried but fell far short of the necessary word count.  I was scattered and just couldn’t make anything come together.  (Truth be told, I was in a pretty bad place mentally and emotionally and I think that had far more to do with it than I was willing to admit at the time…)  Last year, I didn’t even try.  You know, I can’t remember why I decided to pass on it.  Maybe because of my crushing defeat in 2012.  The same reason that I considered passing this year as well.  But I decided that I was going to go for it again this year.  Sort of.  I’m cheating.  And I’m ok with that.

     Luckily, I have had quite a few of my short (flash and micro, still, despite finishing that novel…) stories accepted this year in various places.  The problem is that I am running out of polished, finished stories to submit.  It’s definitely a nice problem to have, don’t get me wrong.  But I have written very little fiction in quite some time.  And so I am cheating at nanowrimo this year – I am not going to try for a novel.  Instead, I am going to try and write 50,000 words worth of short stories (and poetry, if I become inspired along those lines…).  Hopefully, it will give me some pieces worth revising and finishing up, but I am going to try my hardest not to worry about that as I go along. 

     The first day hasn’t gone so well.  Yesterday, I came down with some crazy stomach bug that my wife brought home from somewhere (she was sick last week) and spent the night huddled on the bathroom floor.  Today, I’m dizzy.  My head feels like every single sound is a fireworks display.  Pushing the words from my head down through my fingers into the keyboard seems like a monumental task.  But I know what happens when you fall behind with your word count, so I am persevering.  So far, it is all junk.  But I’m exercising.  And if I can hit the daily word count feeling like this, I think it can only get easier from here on out…  Right?

 

     Regardless, if you’re a writer and have never tried nanowrimo, I definitely recommend it to you. It’s one of the hardest things you can try, but it is really exciting at points, too.  The days the words just flow out are brilliant…  You’re reminded (if you’ve lost the feeling like I have) of what it feels like to simply overflow.  It’s an odd thing:  The word count can become your muse.  Today is the first day, so you have plenty of time to catch up (in 2011, when I completed my novel, I actually started a week late…).  Join in.  And if you do, let me know your progress.  I’ll be updating mine throughout the month.  (Today, so far, I’m at roughly 1200 words.)  You may not end up with a novel, but if you fail, you still wrote – probably more than you would have in that same timeframe.  And maybe you’ll end up with something truly great out of it.

 

     And if anyone has any particularly helpful writing exercises or prompts, I’d love to hear them.  I’m going to need help to get through this – at least with stories that are worth going back to…

No comments:

Post a Comment